Monday, September 15, 2008

CatAsTRophE

This is the beginning of my process. i started thinking of very simple shelters that people could easily take with them. One was a fold-up shelter that built off of other shelters. The other idea(the one I ended up going with) was a livable wheel. I called it the cheese wheel.
These are some preliminary sketches of the form and the interior.
This was my first crisis moment of the semester. I tried to build a wire frame and put clay over it. My wire frame collapsed and the clay was basically unworkable. So I had to use another material and edit the shape.
The livable wheel.


This is how you would pull it.

Our group decided to design for the refugees of Darfur. They live in camps in awful conditions and are always moving. I wanted to design a house that provided all the necessities and was easily portable. My shelter functions as a round hut that can be lived in and then you flip it on its side and you roll it along with you like a big wheel. I wanted it to be very durable yet lightweight. I used paper because it represents how light I would like it to be. The interior would all be fastened to the wall so nothing would come out of place when you rolled it. I was inspired by the interior of japanese houses, Actually using the dirt as a floor and then having a raised platform to live and sleep on. My platform curves to fit the shape and is a foot and a half off the ground. In the middle on the floor is a small stove with a small pipe that comes out of the roof. This would function as a place to cook and a source of warmth at night. The fireplace pipe also functions as a place to hook the cable when you want to rol it and take it with you.

1 comment:

jCurve said...

This is a very interesting idea, I'm just afraid of all that it might destroy when moving hundreds of them around a country. In Darfur they are usually on the move because they are running from rape and murder, it could be easily applicable in a more peaceful nomad society though. I'd like one trekking across the tundra or the desert for sure.